POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : chalice WIP [78 kb] : Re: chalice WIP [78 kb] Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:28:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: chalice WIP [78 kb]
From: Jim Charter
Date: 27 Mar 2006 01:02:44
Message: <44278004$1@news.povray.org>
Bob H wrote:
> That's an elaborate cup! Must've been a lot of work.
>
> You said metal... well, sorry to say that I see it as ceramic-like. Possibly
> carved wood that has been painted. Except maybe the upper parts. And even
> then I'm seeing the top as being nearly opaque frosted glass, maybe because
> of the darkened edge on the right side which looks like a cross section of
> the thickness.
>
> I wouldn't really want to change anything about it if I were doing anything
> with it, except maybe the tabletop. That's so smooth it makes the chalice
> seem to float over it. At least that's my guess as to why I'm thinking that.
>
> Fantastic creation, Jim.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes I have had a miserable time trying to get a
metallic look to it,  The dark band you noticed is, I believe, the edge
of the darkened hemisphere that forms the background.  The hemisphere
extending from "behind" the camera is colored to provide something to
reflect.  The "soft" or "rough" look of the slighly downtapered sides of
the actual cup is so recalcatrant that I actually did some test renders
to assure myself that it wasn't somehow a property of how textures act
on SORs or Iso's vs on mesh!  It seems to be a matter of the downturned
nature or the surface.    Meanwhile the upturned surfaces of the base
seem to have an overdiffuse look of shiney plastic instead of the
specular sheen of worried metal.  Sigh!  The rounded box surface the
thing is standing on is just a pigment texture with no normal and
default finish, really just a placeholder for now.